THAI-STYLE CHICKEN AND COCONUT SOUP
Ready to eat in 30 minutes, Serves 4
Now there’s no need to resort to the local take-away for an easy night in with the authentic taste of Asia. Here recipe of your favourite Thai soup and are ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 stems lemon grass, white part finely chopped, stem ends reserved and halved
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 red Asian shallots, chopped
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ready-made red curry paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut cream
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh galangal
- 7 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 400 g chicken breast fillets or thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- 1 small fresh red chili, thinly sliced
- Process the chopped lemon grass, garlic, shallots, peppercorns and curry paste in food processor to a paste.
- Heat a wok over low heat, add the coconut cream, increse the heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the paste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk and stock, return the boil and the galangal, the lime leaves and reserved lemon grass stems. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer for 8 minutes, or until cooked. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, coriander leaves and chili. Serve immediately.